Beer Cheese Soup
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tbs flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 1 (~12 ounce) bottle/can ale
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 lb sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the butter and let it melt and get all bubbly then sprinkle on the flour and let it cook until it starts to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ale and broth and deglaze the pan before adding the bacon and then let cook for 20 minutes.
- Lower the temperature and add the cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
- Season with hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste and enjoy.
If you are feeling extra bad, serve with sourdough bread!